Oasis Records The Greatest Song Of All Time?!?!?!
Q Magazine has just released another list of the greatest songs of all time "as chosen by you" and once again Oasis' 'Live Forever' is number one followed by 'Wonderwall' at number two. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is a perfect example of the unfair advantage certain artists have within the confines of the music industry. If all musicians were given something even remotely representing equal exposure, than the top 100 would consist 100 different songs all tied for 1st place. The margin would be less than narrow, in fact, it would be non-existent.
It's simple mathematics. If you were to play a brilliant song for 10 people, chances are that all 10 would like it. If you were to play a piece of crap for 100 000 people, well, only 11 people would have to like it for it to outsell the previous song. How else do you explain the success of Black Eyed Fergie? Exposure is everything. This is why podcasts, music blogs and other forms of independent media are so important if we're going to level the musical playing field.
All having been said, do I hate Oasis? No, not really. Not their first two albums anyway. I actually think 'Live Forever' is a great song. It's probably my 2643rd favourite song of all time. And out of approximately a bajillion choices, I'd say a 2643 ranking is pretty good.
Here are my personal 10 along with sound clips (for any who cares...)
1. Tangled Up In Blue - Bob Dylan [Blood On The Tracks (1975)]
2. Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles [Revolver (1966)]
3. Can-Utility And The Coastliners - Genesis [Foxtrot (1972)]
4. So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry) - R.E.M. [Reckoning (1984)]
5. Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley [Grace (1994)]
6. September Gurls - Big Star [Radio City (1974)]
7. Beyond Belief - Elvis Costello & The Attractions [Imperial Bedroom (1982)]
8. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths [The Queen Is Dead (1986)]
9. Working Class Hero - John Lennon [Plastic Ono Band (1970)]
10. Waste Of Paint - Bright Eyes [Lifted or the Story Is In The Soil...(2002)]
And there it is. This list changes regularly but it reflects an opinion completely my own. Feel free to share your favourites. Or flame mine. Whatever.

3 Comments:
K,I am in total agreement with your math - and I have to add a couple of more reasons for musical mediocrity. 1)People are generally lazy, they don't want to dig, so they just turn on CFNY and think they're hip. 2)People have misplaced loyalty, they dig the first album and love the others by default (ie U2 - anything post WAR)
That having been said I have had three fav songs for about two years now that continue to tickle me - the other seven change regularly, I will share them with you now:
Soaps - Arab Strap
Pale Blue Eyes - Velvet Underground
Lost Cause - Beck
-Pierrette
8:36 AM
hear, hear sweet pierrette! i love those songs too ... pale blue eyes especially!
10:12 AM
HAHAHA
BURN!!
Pierrette, I think i may almost kinda totally agree with the U2 comment. i been sayin' that for years!
there is nothin "special" about either U2 or Oasis.
I used to play in a couple little bands, and had some friends that were Oasis crazy. They formed a cover band and called it "As is" (oAs is)... stuuupid. they weren't bad tho. i was sick of them after the first 3 songs tho.
dude, i was told to check out your blog from a buddy, Kevin Dubrosky. we were talkin music yesterday.i will DEFFinately be back. now, i have to go check your other posts. later
D
5:22 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home