Bright Light Fever Presents The Evening Owl
"Bright Light Fever Presents The Evening Owl" is a very promising debut by the California based band known as Bright Light Fever. At first listen, they sound like your average indie garage band with an obsession for the Velvet Underground. But on repeated plays, I've come to appreciate their unique style of melody. These are very well crafted pop songs, served with great intensity and passion. Lead vocalist Evan Ferro sings with a slick-sounding whine that may sound slightly familiar, but I really appreciate the edginess of his vocal abilities when they are strangely tempered with a hint of melancholy. This is highlighted mainly in the song "Crowded Street In May," which is the most mellow cut on the CD, but also the most passionate. Songs like "Broken Hands" and "A Deeper Blue" are clearly fantastic and infectious. I can't wait to hear them in a live setting as I believe that that is where they will truly come alive!
As I mentioned, this CD is a very PROMISING debut. In other words, it's very good but it has potential to be better. Basically, I can see the band going in one of two directions. If they allow themselves to be absorbed by the MTV shallow-heads, they will become another cookie-cutter quote indie-band unquote (i.e. The Killers.) Hopefully, they'll work hard at building on the foundation that they've established with this debut, expanding their horizons and honing their live show, paying close attention to audience reaction. If this is the route that they decide to take, then they may just give us a sophomore CD that is going to blow our minds with originality! They definitely have the talent and potential to do so. No pressure guys.
Downloads: Broken Hands mp3 / A Deeper Blue mp3
Bright Light Fever myspace page.
Purchase "Bright Light Fever Presents The Evening Owl" here.
The image above appears courtesy of saintofle.com
5 Comments:
Hey!
I love your blog.
I was wondering -- I'm the artist that did the image that you have up there of Bright Light Fever. Would you mind giving me credit (and maybe even a link? http://saintofle.com)
Thanks in advance!
-Richard
9:52 AM
Done and done. Thanks for the kind words.
3:53 PM
Bright Light Fever has a new record called Red Hands In Holy Water, and it can be downloaded for FREE right here:
http://www.redhandsinholywater.com/Bright_Light_Fever-Red_Hands_In_Holy_Water.zip
Enjoy and feel free to review it!
2:46 PM
Do you by any chance, have the first album by Bright light fever?
Or even just the song Mother Mary Blues?
I've been trying to get the song like crazy, and i just never seem to find it anywhere!
3:42 PM
Yah Anon, I do. email me.
6:43 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home