Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Time To Kill Ugly Radio!

Here in Toronto, we have a radio station that calls itself The Edge 102.1. It used to be the rebel among mainstream radio. In the late 70's and early 80's it was the only station that was comfortable playing The Ramones and the Velvet Underground, and than following it up with a 25 minute masterpiece by Peter Gabriel's Genesis. Throughout the 80's, it introduced us to The Smiths, The Cure, The Charlatans and whatever else the other radio stations would not play.

However, in the mid-nineties, something happened. The Edge completely lost its Edge. It still claimed to be playing "Alternative" music, yet I have not heard anything truly alternative on it for years. I had always been an "Edge Member" and, purportedly because of the popularity of podcasts and satelite radio, they started sending out a survey to me that claimed that they wanted to get a better idea of what we were thinking of the station. So I remember thinking "this sounds like a great idea!" So on that first survey, they sent sound bites of several songs on their playlist, and asked if we liked the songs, and if we felt they were being played enough. So I made it clear that EVERY SINGLE SONG THEY CHOSE WAS WAY OVERPLAYED!!!

Well, here we are, a year later, and The Edge still plays Coldplay, Foo Fighters and Nickelback approximately 83 billion times a day. So I unsubscribed from doing their surveys. When I did so, they said that they "would love to know why I'm leaving." Although I'm fairly sure they don't even read comments such as mine, just for fun, I wrote them the following:

"I'm tired of doing your surveys because all they have accomplished is that they have allowed people to choose what they want to listen to based on your choices; choices of which contain no EDGE whatsoever; although the name of your station claims otherwise. People need to hear something new; they need to learn how to choose for themselves again. I want to hear DJ's that love what they're presenting. A DJ's assignment should not be only to play what the corporate cronies want them to play, but they should be commissioned to go out and FIND THE NEXT BIG THING! In the clubs, on the streets, through podcasts. The greatest band that ever lived is not The Beatles, The Stones, U2 and certainly NOT Coldplay. The greatest band ever is the band that is stuck playing in their local bar undiscovered because radio stations like The Edge, The Mix, The Jack or whatever you want to call yourselves doesn't have the time, the desire or, dare I say, THE LOVE OF MUSIC to go out and find them. I thought your survey was going to give me an opportunity to express thoughts like these, but, of course I was wrong. So, continue to fool people into thinking they love the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album; continue to keep your listeners away from choice so that talented bands like Coldplay can be content to settle for mediocrity, instead of creating the masterpiece they're no doubt capable of, and continue to keep your DJ's as plastic as humanly possible so that the love of music does not even have to be in their job description. And I must stress that this rant is certainly not directed to the people, bands or listeners involved, but simply to the system that seems to be currently in place. You've got a job to do, and I can appreciate that. But I no longer have any desire to participate in a survey that obviously isn't going to make any significant difference to the choices you offer on your station. Thank you for reading this."

It's time to kill ugly radio.
"Plastic people are such a drag!" - Frank Zappa

Photo above from the inner sleeve of Zappa's Absolutely Free CD.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm no kissass for edge, but I honestly can't recall the last time Coldplay was played on the station, though they have killed that new RHCP song. Yea, edge is far from perfect, but I think that several of the hosts have a brain and use it in voicing their opinion of music. It’s now the center of the youth market. Having said that, I don't think its as pedestrian as you make it out to be.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Bobby B said...

Haha, just as I was reading your comment, I turned on Edge and Coldplay came on in literally 30 seconds. I realize that was likely a fluke and, truth be told, I haven't listened with any regularity for a while, but I did listen to it for an afternoon about 3 months ago or so, and the repetition was unbelievable. And Coldplay was played a few times that afternoon too. Also, I actually like some of the DJ's, (how can you NOT like Alan Cross!)and I do realize that they express their opinions from time to time, but I just long for the days when a DJ would come in with a record that he bought at a club and had the permission to play it because he liked it! But I guess I would take The Edge over any other commercial radio station. Still there is nothing greater than searching out and finding good music yourself. If only we had more time...

3:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what Magnum had to say. If I had anything to add, I would say that there is an Edge 2 stream, as well as other genres, available at their website for listening. The introduction Alan Cross gives to Edge 2 is that this forum is unfiltered, uncensored, and unregulated, and encourages emailing to him personally as to what should be put on the channel. Doesn't that cater to the music snobs out there? I think so.

7:11 AM

 
Blogger Bobby B said...

Wow! So many comments from so many different people! I haven't heard Edge 2 but if that's true, than that's definitely a step in the right direction. Still, we shouldn't have to go to internet streams and podcasts to be introduced to new music. Elvis, The Beatles and others were made popular because certain DJ's on mainstream radio stations heard them and promoted them because they had the right to do so.

10:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I just found your blog. It's excellent. I'm so heartbroken that I had to miss the Island show this year (I'm currently teaching English in Korea), but happy that there are people out there pushing it. And in regards to the Edge, I remember doing something similar with my 'membership' a few years ago. The station has become quite pathetic, yeah.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and, if you're interested, check out my column at www.kyledavidpaul.com. Take it easy!

9:55 AM

 
Blogger Allan said...

The Edge still sucks...

We need to start our own indie radio station! (just joking but if you are ever serious, we could explore it).

12:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home