Olympic Island 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again...Broken Social Scene is the greatest live band on the planet! Last night's show at Olympic Island was a rousing celebration. Both Kevin and Feist were apparently sick, but that didn't stop them from putting on the best show imaginable. So many highlights, but for me, J. Mascis joining in on 'Almost Crimes' was an excellent jam, although I missed seeing Emily up there, rocking out! Another great moment was Kevin Drew pausing a song to tell the moshers to quit it...telling the tale of his getting his teeth knocked out as a teen at a Faith No More concert. At one point I actually contemplated leaving partway through 'It's All Gonna Break', reasoning that this is likely the last song of the evening, and that it would be nice to beat the ferry rush. I'm glad I didn't. 'KC Accidental' was a great way to end the show in a triumphant way. And as it turns out, somehow we managed to get on the ferry in less time than we ever have before.
Prior to BSS, Bloc Party also put on a surprisingly good show. I'm not a huge fan, and I think vocally he's a bit of a Robert Smith rip-off, but they do know how to satisfy an audience. Their show was packed with energy and enthusiasm, the crowd was vigorously jumping up and down and shouting throughout, and there was something very charismatic about lead vocalist Kele Okeneke. The highlight of course was 'Helicopter' with the trading riffs being enjoyable to watch and hear.
Before that, we had Feist. Feist sounds better with the flu than most of us sound in perfect health. She truly is a wonder to behold. She played all the favorites, including a stripped down version of 'One Evening' with the crowd providing da-da-da's for her, so as not to strain her voice. She performed some new songs as well, which gives an indication as to what the new CD will be like. It's going to be great!
As far as J. Mascis goes, his performance was essentially a copy of the previous evenings Broken Mascis Scene show at The Mod Club. Which was fine with me because I had such a great time at that show as explained in my previous post. Unfortunately, I did not arrive in time for Raising The Fawn, but I heard that they had a solid set as well.
And so ends another Island show. Although BSS just keeps getting better each year, the crowds just keep getting bigger, and I just keep getting older. This may possibly be the last one for me, but what a way to go! (Of course, depending on the line-up, and how many other opportunities I have to see BSS, will all the members be there?...well, never say never!)
See my pics from the show here.
See better pics from the show here.
And see other great pics here.
2 Comments:
Thanks for sharing. Germany Rocks!
9:08 AM
No man, Portugal rules! Go cry with your leiterhouson in the closet!
8:10 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home