NXNE Day 3
Saturday night I was back in town early enough to catch a few bands. Not all of them were great, but as I don't particularly want to use this as a forum to slag any independent musicians (major label artists, however are fair game...) I'll write about the artists
that I did like.
I went to Clinton's on Bloor St. to check out Montreal's The Mission District whom I had heard on a podcast over a year ago. These guys have the potential to be huge. They're slightly reminiscent of some of the 80's throwback bands that are so popular right now (i.e. The Killers, etc.) but these guys pack a punch that makes them sound very immediate and relevant. You have to dance when you hear them, even if it's the slightly jerky stand-still with the hyper-head-bob that I do so as not to totally embarrass myself.
Check out their myspace page here.
Answer To Me mp3
After that, I stumbled across a classic southern rock band known as Fairfield. Although this is not the style of music I'm really listening to these days, they were very easy to listen to and, I have to admit, they brought me back to the days of thinking Sweet Home Alabama was the coolest song ever. I realize I'm losing significant credibility by admitting this, but hey, who am I really trying to impress anyways.
And The Eagles and Neil Young never stopped being cool.
Listen to Fairfield's music over on their myspace page.
I ended the evening over at Lee's Palace with Boston's Aberdeen City. They have a very monumental sound. If they ever make the segue to playing full stadiums, (which, if there's any justice in the world, they will) it's going to be a very smooth transition. It's rare to see a melodic type of band with as much energy as these guys possess. Hooky and compelling, Aberdeen City may just be the band to watch for in the year ahead.
Their myspace page is here.
In Combat mp3
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home