Friday, June 09, 2006

Clothes Make The Man


Check out my article on Clothes Make The Man over at the Indie Music Project. They'll be playing the NXNE festival on Saturday.

[UPDATE JANUARY 23rd, 2009]
I don't usually make a habit of updating articles that I've posted from this far back in history, but since the above indie music project link is no more, I thought that I'd simply repost the original article below, for archival purposes. Enjoy.

I absolutely love a band that has the uncanny ability to write a hook. And I'm ALWAYS a sucker for a good hook. Well, Toronto's Clothes Make The Man are one of those bands. In fact, those very hooks not only grab you but they positively refuse to let you go.

What makes their music so appealing and catchy is that it's the right blend of raw emotional energy and smooth musical ability. For example, when the cymbals chime in on the standout track "Chile", you'll be immediately drawn in by the addictive nature of the melody. But just wait for Ryan McLennan to belt out the chorus, "It's all that I can do not to break down and cry over ... (cue possibly the greatest gut-wrenching rasp in indie music history)...YOU!!" Ryan has a growl that would make Dave Grohl jealous.

What is also impressive is that this band has done it themselves. From artwork, booking shows, accounting, the website, etc, they have created a buzz without the help of a major (or even a minor) label. And it's that determination that shines through in their music. So if you miss the distinguished college rock guitar sweat-laden chomp of Sebadoh and Dinosaur Jr, then Clothes Make The Man is a good place to start.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home