Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Rob Szabo: Like A Metaphor


Rob Szabo is a singer-songwriter from Kitchener, Ontario who has been hovering well below the radar for over a decade. However, that does not stop him from being one of the most intriguing and prolific Canadian songwriters of all time, in my opinion. The intimacy of his lyrics coupled with the sincerity in his voice immediately gives you the feeling like you've been an acquaintance of his for quite some time. But see him live, and that undeniable smirk makes you feel like he's in on a joke that you know nothing about. And that makes him absolutely captivating. I've just found out that he's released a new CD/DVD, and from what I've heard, it sounds like he just keeps getting better. It revisits some of his earlier work, most notably "Beautiful" which was originally recorded by his previous band Plasticine. I've always enjoyed the lyric, "You never tell me that I'm beautiful anymore, you only treat me like a medical condition. You understand me like a metaphor; you're a student in a class. Will I get better in a year or two? Forgive me if I ask."
Yes, if you're a fan of Paul Westerberg or Neil Finn, or even the personal stylings of Elliott Smith, than I highly recommend the music of Rob Szabo. And I can't wait to pick up the new CD, available here.

Trampoline mp3 - From the CD "A Battery Of Tests"
Live version of "Beautiful" and "Good Son" mp3.
My space site

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home