Tuesday, May 16, 2006

MY Musical A.D.D.

I have a serious, uncureable case of musical A.D.D. I am constantly on the prowl for something new, but when I find it, it usually isn't too long before I have to move on. This ailment makes it increasingly more difficult to tolerate artists such as the following: Jack Johnson, Oasis, Tragically Hip and, the reigning kings of the A.D.D. throne, Coldplay. Now please, don't get me wrong, in many ways I like all of these artists. I think they are extremely talented, and they all have a lot to offer as far as providing the listening public with something somewhat substantial. But they all suffer from what I think of as 3rd album monotany. Coldplay's second album was brilliant, and if the radio didn't play them every 5 minutes, I would probably enjoy them much more. But their 3rd album should have been titled the "Clocks" remix album! I realize there is a lot of pressure from both the label and the fans to put out something quickly, and, let's be serious, Coldplay fans seem more than happy to hear different versions of "Clocks" from now on into eternity. But where is their "OK Computer"? Where is their "Revolver"? Heck, I would've settled for their "One Chord To Another"! Or better yet, I'm a big believer in the old adage "quit while you're ahead!" It's true, I always yearn for more Stone Roses, more La's, more Jellyfish...but that's much better than having to sit through an album like Oasis' "Be Here Now" and wonder how it all went wrong so fast. But hey, there seem to millions of Coldplay/Oasis/Jack Johnson and Tragically Hip fans that wholeheartedly disagree with me. And I'm the one suffering with musical A.D.D., not them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home