The French Kicks w/The Broken West @ The Horseshoe
For no real recognizable reason, I haven't really been keeping up to date with The French Kicks for a few years. 2002's One Time Bells and 2004's The Trial Of The Century were a solid part of my indie rock diet when they came out, but they've released a couple more albums since then, both of which I know very little about. Still, what I've always appreciated about those albums is they are so easily digestible that they require little to no effort to listen to and enjoy. It sounds like they've continued on in that mold with their later releases, since the songs that I didn't know from Wednesday night were as easily accessible as the songs that I did know.
The band wields an effortless form of charisma, something that I imagine is not that easy to do. Chief vocalist Nick Stumpf displays his love for Robert Smith proudly, but does so in an understated way. He spent most of the concert dancing up at the front of center stage, and although he didn't say all that much inbetween songs, he still had an admirable connection with the audience. He seemed to be at his most passionate however, when he sat behind the keys, playing several newer songs which I did not recognize, as well as bringing in a few old reliables, including Trial of the Century and an audience rousing version of One More Time. The show actually got me dancing throughout, which isn't always the way I roll, so I left the venue feeling completely satisfied. Also, on a side note, I'm actually very pleased with the pictures I took at this one, which is also not usually the way I roll.
Photos: The French Kicks @ The Horseshoe on flickr
Myspace: The French Kicks
Stream: Two Thousand - entire album hereReplacing The Whigs as the original opening band were The Broken West, which suits me just fine. The last time that I saw them was when they were opening for Fountains of Wayne about a year ago and, much like The French Kicks, they play some very straight-forward indie pop that is also immediate and enjoyable, although with less of a danceable nature. Their last CD, I Can't Go, I'll Go On was one of the best albums of the year, incorporating elements of Byrds-ian jangle pop with just a hint of early Wilco's alt-country vibe. I have not yet heard their new album, Now Or Heaven, but according to reviews like the one on Chromewaves, it sounds like they're following the same path that they've already been comfortable taking, but kicking it up a notch in order to keep things fresh.
I noticed the same thing during their performance. The seemed to exude a little bit more confidence this time around, and their sound really worked well on The Horseshoe stage. As can be expected, they featured a lot of newer songs. The only one that I was already familiar with is Auctioneeer, which opens with a very infectious piano riff, and seems to take the band into a slight new wave category, but in a way that doesn't sound like a blatant 80's rip off. They played a few songs from the first CD too, ending the show with Brass Ring, my favourite song, and one that I hope remains a stasple of their live show. You just can't beat the Tweedy-ish "woo-hoo-hoo" that Ross Flournoy belts out in the chorus. Well, maybe Tweedy can.
Photos: The Broken West @ The Horseshoe on flickr
Myspace: The Broken West
Download: Perfect Games mp3
Download: Auctioneer mp3
Labels: broken west, concert review, horseshoe tavern, the french kicks
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home