Mark Olson @ Soundscapes (In-Store)
Alt-country legend Mark Olson was in town to play a set at the El Mocambo last night. I wasn't able to make it to that show but I did head up the street to Soundscapes earlier in the day to see him do an in-store performance with his band. After a full weekend of in-your-face live music (yes, even Camera Obscura was pretty in-your-face this time around,) it felt real good to see someone who's been around for a while with nothing to prove. The performance was laid back and beautiful. For those of you that don't know, Olson is one of the founding members of The Jayhawks and The Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers and he expresses a sincere love of roots country. He has a critically acclaimed new CD out entitled, "The Salvation Blues" and he performed several songs off of it yesterday afternoon. However he sandwiched his solo material inbetween two Jayhawks classics, namely "Over My Shoulder" and "Blue." I'm secure enough to admit that my eyes welled up a little bit during the bridge section of the latter, with the Gary Louris part being beautifully handled by a singer named Ingunn Ringvold from Norway. I'd be curious to hear about his show that evening, because I'm sure it was excellent.
Photos:
Mark Olson @ Soundscapes on flickr.
Videos:
"Salvation Blues" live at Mo Pitkins on youtube
"Blue" live at The High Noon Saloon in Wisonsin on youtube
Myspace: Mark Olson
Labels: alt-country, jayhawks, mark olson, roots rock, salvation blues, soundscapes
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home