Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Main Drag

As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve often relied on indie music podcasts to introduce me to great music that I would have otherwise been unfamiliar with. One such example is a band from Boston known as The Main Drag. I suppose they sound like some sort of mix between perhaps Broken Social Scene and Red House Painters. If you listen to the songs that are available on their myspace page, you’ll likely be very impressed. “Goodnight Technologist” sounds as if Death Cab’s Ben Gibbard and King Crimson’s Robert Fripp joined forces to create some sort of progressive lullaby. The song “A Jagged Gorgeous Winter” recently won a much deserved song writing contest. The song is as hooky as it gets, and the refrain “nights filled with longer hours” has the ability to drill a hole in your memory that prevents you from getting the song out of there anytime soon. And I mean this in a cool way, not in an annoying “my lovely lady lumps” way. The band is releasing a new album sometime in and around June and judging from the demos they’ve posted on their good ole fashioned garageband page, they seem to be heading in a slightly more acoustic direction. It’ll be interesting to see if the new CD is going to be more of a stripped down affair or if they’re going to throw some of their trademarked weirdness into the mix. Either way I’m anxiously looking forward to hearing it.

Download:
A Jagged Gorgeous Winter mp3
Goodnight Technologist mp3

The Main Drag is on myspace or you can download a whole whack of tuneage on their garageband page.

Also be sure to check out the video for “A Jagged Gorgeous Winter” over on youtube. It’s got snowballs, sledding and lots of other fun stuff.

The above band photo is by J.B. Galusha.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! You've got a great site here, and I really appreciate that you linked to my own site. I finally reciprocated and put a link up for you! Keep up the good work!

4:21 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

GREAT show last night at the Delancy in NYC! The new stuff works very well onstage.

1:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home