Joanna Newsom - Ys
All of the great composers of days’ passed were never very good when it came to writing a basic pop song. The likely found it hard to justify the exclusion of important concepts, thoughts and ideas in order to satisfy a four minute and thirty second format. Joanna Newsom is a classically trained harpist who clearly feels the same way about confining herself to similar restrictions. Thus her forthcoming release entitled “Ys.”
The album (apparently pronounced ‘eees’) has only 5 songs. These range in length from 7:17 to 16:53. But this album is not really prog, nor is it anything of the jam band genre. There is no pretentious instrumental wankery here. In fact, the vocals are still front and centre and the lyrics are intense. If anything, I find it falls somewhere into the unclassifiable world of Kate Bush, where the amalgamation of art and melody is used to create a sound that is only remotely accessible, but only to the very picky ear. For example, “Monkey and Bear” is borderline operatic, with Van Dyke Parks’ orchestration sounding like something that would not be out of place in a classic Disney movie, albeit one of the more mature ones (?) All of the songs are deliciously odd, which is what makes it very difficult to put the beauty of her music into words. It’s an acquired taste, and it’s not for everybody but if you’re looking for something grandiose and bewitching, take the time to absorb this one. I really like it a lot.
Joanna Newsom has always been an artist with a completely original style that seems to be either embraced or repelled by music lovers everywhere. Some find it difficult to get past the helium-filled squeak of her vocals, while others think her brand of neo-pysch pop is a welcome diversion from all the guitar and/or synth heavy product being released today. Interestingly, even those who thoroughly enjoyed her last disc, “The Milk Eyed Mender,” will likely need some time to get used to this one. Personally, I think it’s worth the effort.
Download: Emily mp3
Purchase "Ys" here.

8 Comments:
I love the pic. She's like some sort of elvish spokesperson. Very austere and 80s. Go Joe!
1:22 PM
How far back do "days' passed" have to go when great composers couldn't write concise pop songs? The 20th century was littered with folks capable of composing adventurous songs within whatever day's current pop format.
8:09 AM
I agree and perhaps I didn't express myself very well. I guess what I meant by that comment was that these artists didn't seem to be as pressured to confine themselves to such limitations. I think we've always had good pop songs, and I'm a huge fan of the well-constructed pop song. But these days, too many people choose to go for the quick fade-out in order to satisfy a certain time limit than to express all their thoughts more freely.
12:48 PM
I hate Joanna Newsom. Passionately. I would rather listen to people scratching their nails across a blackboard than hear Joanna's ungodly voice.
6:51 PM
I know many people who agree with you. She's not for everybody. Thanks for expressing your opinion.
8:02 PM
quadb, I really admire the way you handled that comment. It was much more mature than my initial response, which was something like, "Why, you #%$%$^$^#!!!!!!"
4:43 PM
Sorry to post on such an old thread, I just found this woman's songs and I can offer nothing but derision for the over-achiever sounds this woman has put on earth. Hello, POP music anyone? She sounds like she go A's all of her life, WORKING SO BLOODY HARD. Well, pop music is supposed to be and to feel easy. How many notes can she squeeze in? Jeez...
3:30 PM
Erm, I don't think that she strives to be pop music. She is doing something new and unique and I like her and so do tons of other people. She is an artist, balking at convention and she deserves to be applauded for it.
4:49 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home