My Selfish Reasons For Blogging
Why do I blog? Some of my peers have wondered why and how I can spend so much time "advertising" independent artists, when there does not seem to be any real payback for me. Some feel that I really need to get a life, while others admire this "selfless" act, done strictly for the love of music. Well, I have to admit that my motives aren't entirely pure.
For now anyways, this is basically a hobby of mine. I enjoy writing and I enjoy listening to great music. If someday I make a buck or two doing this, that'd be great! I mean, who doesn't want to get paid doing something they enjoy. But for now, that's probably as likely as a Chad Kroeger masterpiece.
No, I continue to blog because I feel that blogging, along with podcasting and other independent music media, is basically one step closer to making good, interesting and original music more readily accessible. I would love to be able to turn on the radio and hear music I like. Some people will claim that the most irritating thing about the music snobbist-elitist is that they only like an artist when he isn't popular and than abandon said artist once he is. Some snobs may be like that..but not me. Now it's true, the neverending gaggle of teenage girls at this year's Broken Social Scene Island Show certainly made me long for the good old days when the band was mine and only mine. But it wasn't their popularity that irritated me. It was the people that were there not because they dig the music, but because they dig socializing and meeting hot guys. The large majority however, were fans, and they, of course, were great.
The point is, ultimately it would be a lot easier to have good music come to me through the airwaves, than having to scour the web for the next big thing. And if my insignificant little glik on the internet contributes in any small way to introducing more good music into the mainstream, than, for now, I'll keep doing it. And if in the meantime I get the occasional free CD, and I meet the occasional cool starving musical artist, well I'm not about to complain about that either.
The artwork can be seen over at t-shirt humor.com
2 Comments:
"Now it's true, the neverending gaggle of teenage girls at this year's Broken Social Scene Island Show certainly made me long for the good old days when the band was mine and only mine."
Sorry, but that's just a really lame thing to say. Unless you founded the band, it never belonged to you, and any thoughts to the contrary were the product of youthful self-indulgence if not outright self-importance ... you just took a good deal of the shine off your reviewer cred w/ that one, I'd say.
11:33 PM
I have never claimed to have any reviewer cred, my friend. I'm just a guy with a blog. This is a pretty old post, and I'll admit that it does sound quite self indulgent a year and a half later. However I am a lover of music, and it may sound selfish, but when I'm listening to a song or watching a band, then at that moment, the band IS mine and only mine. And I would hope that every true appreciator of music feels the same way about the music that they like. If music can not affect you on some personal level, then what's the point? That's when music ceases to become an art form, and becomes restricted to the background of the dental office. Finally, I don't know how long you've been reading my blog, but if you have, you'll notice that I do not take myself very seriously. This is just a blog, and I'm just talking about stuff, that's all. Chill out and enjoy it or read something else. But don't over analyze my every word, because you'll come to realize that I say a lot of "lame" things, and I'm most likely to continue to say more. Have a good night.
12:22 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home