I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - Fear Is On My Side
For my first post, I thought I'd rave about my newest purchase. Although, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness are from Austin, Texas, they have very little in common with the southern rock sound that has become synonamous with that part of the map. Right from the opening notes of "According To Plan" I knew I was in for something special. Yes, the comparisons to Joy Division are inevitable, but while the sonic drone of JD gives us the sneaky suspicion that they may be from another planet (not that there's anything wrong with that), there is no doubt that ILYBICD are our fellow earthlings providing the type of beautiful melodies that only humans can produce. What I love is that this is an album of contradictions; it's atmospheric, yet easy to dance to; it's dark but by no means do I find it depressing. On the contrary, I have not found an album this year that has brought a bigger smile to my face.
Highlights: "We Choose Faces", "Lights" & title track.
2 Comments:
I've been enjoying this band a lot recently and playing them to friends generally they are received very well. And you gotta love that bloomin name.
3:11 AM
Thanks for the comment. I love these guys more and more all the time. And the name...yep! I think only "...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead..." is the only only fairly recent band name that gives them a bit of a run for their money.
5:26 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home